Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Vegan Pineapple and Coconut Cupcakes

DSC05920

I was really bored today and I thought I'd give baking a go. Ever since I've been on this diet, I've been avoiding all baked goods and baking needs. Today I gave in, even ate one of the mini cupcakes. This is the first recipe that I've kind of made up. I was out of butter so that's why they're vegan, although I always do prefer vegan cupcakes over non-vegan ones because they are just so moist.

These ones turned out all right. Very light and soft. Had the texture of crumpets, I reckon. I would say they taste quite delicate. For more of a textural journey, maybe add 1/3 of shredded coconut.

DSC05927

Vegan Pineapple and Coconut Cupcakes
Makes quite a few, I'd say maybe 48.

Ingredients:

- 2 Cups of Self-raising flour
- 1 Cup of Caster sugar (I used half and half of caster sugar and brown sugar because I didn't have enough caster sugar)
- 1 Cup of Coconut cream (try to get a good brand from an asian grocer)
- 2 Cups of Pineapple (I used tinned ones, but fresh ones would be awesome)
- 1/3 Cup of Vegetable oil
- 1/4 Cup of Warm water
- 1 Tsp of Vanilla essence

DSC05915DSC05916

1) Preheat oven to about 170ÂșC. Blend your pineapple in a food processor until it becomes a runny paste. Use some of the pineapple syrup if you do use tinned pineapple.

2) Combine pineapple paste with all the ingredients, and mix until all is combined.

3) Line your muffin tins with liners and spoon the mixture into the muffin tins, leaving 5mm of space for the muffins to puff up.

4) If you are using the tiny cupcake tins, bake for 15-20 minutes. If you are using larger tins, bake for 20-25 minutes. Insert a clean skewer into the centre of the cupcake. If it comes out clean, it's ready to be taken out of the oven.

5) Allow to cool on a rack. Put your own topping.

DSC05931

ONE OF THE CUPCAKES LOOKS LIKE A SMILEY FACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment