Sunday, August 21, 2011

My week/month in food #2

One night, my boyfriend and I went out for some tasty sze chuan. I don't remember what this place is called but basically, ages ago there was this really popular sze chuan place in Chinatown, and then it shut down a bit and this other place was THE sze chuan place to go to, but now this one has reopened so we went here! Also, apologies for the dodgy iphone photos.

This is one of my favourite sze chuan dishes. It's basically cold noodles made from mung bean powder or something, drenched in a delicious chilli oil and peanuts.

Prawns in a sweet and sour sticky sauce. It was tasty and had lots of garlic in it.


Asian greens with oyster sauce.

On another occasion, my boyfriend notified me of this new Korean-Japanese place called Darac in A'Beckett Street in the city. It's a lovely place and it does some really cheap lunch dishes so if you are around the city and are feeling peckish, go visit this place!

Chicken and prawn gyozas. This came with some kind of vinegar and soy sauce dipping sauce and it was so bloody delicious. The filling was so well seasoned and the texture of the pastry was wonderful and crisp.

My cocktail. It was a mixture of lemonade and some kind of Korean vodka. I think it's called soju.

Cheesy fried spicy chicken. I have been dreaming of the day where I get to eat this dish. It's basically a stir fried chicken dish in hot pepper paste and then smothered with mozzarella cheese.

Then on another occasion we tried out some Jamaican food at this place called Sassy's on St George's Rd. My boyfriend went there with some friends a few months back and said it was delicious so I was super keen for this.

This is the Jerk Chicken. Basically marinated chicken that's been cooked for ages the probaby pan fried a bit to get a bit of crispness. There's also steamed rice with beans and a creamy vegetable stew. The chicken was tasty, but I wanted some more salt on it.

Same dish except with a large piece of fish in a creamy sauce. I liked this one better, but there were a lot of bones in the fish!

We wanted some dessert so we drove to Sydney Road and got some delicious Lebanese pastries from Balha's Pastries. It was the night before Ramadan so it seemed busier than usual, but then again, Balha's is always busy in the evenings. It's really wonderful because there's all these families with their kids and it just seems like a wonderful social gathering.

And today, I went driving with my boyfriend (because I don't have my Ps yet and he's on his full license) and we stopped by Vibrante in Templestowe for some lunch. We were going to get some risotto but the beef and reef steak on the menu sounded pretty good so ordered that and a prawn pizza.


This a fillet steak cooked medium-rare topped with well-seasoned prawns, with a red wine jus, mashed potatoes and vegies. I've never had red wine jus before and I found the sauce kind of tart, but the whole dish was very good. My boyfriend loved it.


We also got some pizza to share and it was excellent. Excellent, excellent, excellent. The base was not too thin or thick and the pizza sauce was loaded with tasty garlic and oregano. It was one of those really fresh tasting pizzas that was packed with flavour. I'd recommend it to anyone visiting the east side.

No comments:

Post a Comment